Saturday, February 1, 2014

Mushroom Cloud


This is a photograph I took while wandering around looking at the ice forms down at the harbor.  It it just an interesting design to me, but it does look like a mushroom cloud.  It is interesting that there is no way to know the scale of these ice forms.  The oval shape is about 18 inches across.  I have no idea how these shapes formed, but they sure are interesting.  I did take a version of this shot, and increase the contrast so the shapes were more dramatic, but aesthetically it bothered me that I did that, so this is the more subtle version.  It is finally warming up - enough so that I am back riding my bike again, which I have missed.  And these forms will be gone on the next high tide.


I decided late in the day, to post the black and white photograph that was worked on a lot, in terms of contrast, so you could see the difference, and perhaps why I like the more subtle version above. Maybe you like this one better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Initial reaction - OMG! How cool is this! What an amazing design. So glad you captured this photo. bsk