Wednesday, February 5, 2014

No Wind


On the way to New Haven the other day, when driving through Bridgeport, Connecticut, I spied this unusual cloud of smoke in the sky.  This is the coal-fired United Illuminating plant on the harbor in Bridgeport.  So I started thinking about what might cause this, and realized that there was not a hint of wind blowing, so the smoke was rising straight up from the red and white striped stack.  I don't remember ever seeing this before. It makes for an interesting shape in the sky.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see an old person's face in the cloud.. :).. nice pic!!

Photodude Images said...

Looks like the smoke when the genie comes out of the lamp

Peter ( Skipper) Brockett said...

THERMALS!!!, Origin is excess steam.
Some where I have this shot during a wind shear so it looked like this <