Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Jim Wildey 1943 - 2015


I am sitting here in shock and disbelief.  I received a call this afternoon from Jim's wife Barb, and she said that last night Jim died of cardiac arrest.  They have just returned from a three month tour around the United States, in their RV, stopping to visit friends in a number of states, including New York and Pennsylvania and Florida.  In a number of places that they stopped Jim helped people with projects because that's the kind of guy that he was.  By the time they returned home, he was not feeling well.  I don't know any more details but I am in shock because Jim has always been in excellent physical condition.  I loved it when we got together and he reminded me he could crush me with his thumb!  He always loved projects involving dragging concrete blocks around, or in our case, ripping out all the lath and plaster in our bathroom years ago, when he and Barb came for a weekend visit.  I first met Jim when we roomed together one summer after I had graduated from RIT.  He was a business major, and we and our families have been dear friends ever since.  You could not find a more generous guy anywhere. This photograph is from around 1970 when I was doing a cross country flight for my private pilot's license, and landed at a small airport in Binghamton.  Jim, who worked for IBM at the time, came out to meet me at the airport, all suited up.  But do not be misled - he soon left IBM to become a dairy farmer, and then after a number of years, began buying and refurbing homes and selling them, before becoming a building inspector in Fresno, California.  And that's only the half of it.  This all seems so unbelievable, that it has not sunk in yet.

8 comments:

ken schwarz said...

I am so sorry to learn of the untimely death of your good friend, Jim Wildey. I am very glad I had the chance to meet him once or twice while living in Sea Cliff. My condolences to his wife, Barb, his family and his many friends.

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks so much for your comment. It reminds me of a sail in my Lightning that the three of us did. You were at the helm, and we decided to put up the spinnaker, and we were doing fine for a while, in a strong breeze, and then we got some stronger winds. I didn't know enough to trim the spinnaker pole in, and before long the spinnaker was loose and the Lightning was in the water up to its leeward rail! I was panicked, sure we were headed for a capsize, you were cool, calm and collected, and Jim was having the time of his life! His motto was always "The closer you come to sheer terror, the more fun it is!"

Anonymous said...

Ken, so sorry to hear this news, condolences to you and his family. He sounds like an interesting and generous fellow. Great photo of the two of you. It looks like you set the camera in the grass or field to shoot the picture. -- Stan

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I have heard you speak so highly of your dear friend for so many years. Wonderful heart warming photo and story of his life. My condolences to you and his family.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry for your loss of a wonderful longtime friend. Great story and photo. My condolences to you and to his family.
Karen

Anonymous said...

I love the photo of the two of you. This must have been so difficult for you to write...I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I would love to hear more stories and see more photos of this fine man. bsk

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I often thought of Jim and Barb
And today again they both have crossed my mind
I worked for the two
In Fresno California
Jim was a great guy awesome fella if I must say
Sad to hear hesh no longer
Around
Barb was just as sweet and such a darling of a lady
Not sure if she's still
In Fresno CA
However if she is I would love
To see her again
Dear friend
latreecewash@gmail.com