Wednesday, November 18, 2015

An Apple A Day...


I can't remember how long I have been doing this, but each night while sitting in front of the TV, I get a Granny Smith apple from the fridge, and cut it into quarters, and eat it while I work on email and the blog.  I like the Granny Smith apples because they are crisp, and a bit tart.  Even during apple season, I continue to eat Granny Smith.  About two weeks ago, I thought I would try something new, and bought a Jonagold apple at the grocery store.  Wow,  what a difference!  The Jonagold tasted like an APPLE!  What was I thinking, only eating Granny Smith?  Now I am hooked.  Once apple season passes, I will have to go back to Granny, because I hate "mealy" apples.  I do love apples like McIntosh, and Gravenstein, but for them to taste really good, you need to get them early in the season, and get them at an orchard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are funny. I only use Granny Smith for baking because they are so tart. This apple looks delicious.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I went apple picking in October at an "old" orchard that had many different kinds of apples. SO many good apples! Unfortunately, I couldn't tell them apart because I kept adding different apples to the bag :-) Next year will plan on going again. bsk

Ken Spencer said...

I was introduced to my very favorite apple about 15 years ago when I did a story about a family farm that raised fruit. I told them that I loved a nice crisp apple, that was just a bit tart. So the farmer suggested Gravenstein. This is from the Wikipedia entry: "In the Northern Hemisphere it is picked in July and August and is heavily used as a cooking apple, especially for apple sauce and apple cider. It does not keep well, so it is available only in season. In addition, the short stems and variable ripening times make harvesting and selling difficult." My problem is first, remembering to look for that apple in July and August! Who ever thinks of apples that early in the season. But when it is so fresh, it is so crisp and so tasty!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to trying a Gravenstein apple next summer... bsk