Sunday, January 17, 2016

My Project





I decided to construct a built-in desk for Kathy's computer in the new back room.  It will be bolted to the wall with steel angle iron.  I wanted it to be beautiful, so I bought a couple of pieces of solid oak and glued them together.  And then I needed to add a second layer of wood to the edges, in order to make the desk one and one-half inches thick - that's what all the clamps are about in the first picture.  Then I needed to add three coats of marine spar varnish, with careful sanding between each coat.  You can't believe how gorgeous this piece is now that the varnishing is done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks big! What are the dimensions? Where will it be in the room? bsk

Ken Spencer said...

The desk is 18" deep and 48" long. You make a good point - without something to give a sense of scale, there is no way to know how large it is.