Thursday, May 19, 2016

A Day at the new Whitney Museum


I went to the city today to visit the new Whitney Museum of American Art.  They have built a new building downtown, on Gansevoort Street designed by Renzo Piano, and their iconic Marcel Breuer building uptown has been taken over by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There was a huge exhibit covering two floors, called "Human Interest: Portraits from the Whitney Collection." It was an amazing collection of paintings and photographs, and sculptures.  I was looking at paper sculptures of a number of buildings, when I realized that the plexiglass cover reflected people walking by.  So I positioned myself in one spot and waited. In the background, by the way, is another artwork showing raised fists, which adds complexity, and some mystery to the image.

7 comments:

ken schwarz said...

The word that came to mind after studying this photo is "cameo". I like the effect of apparent texture created by people and reflections in the foreground and unusual black and white art on the far wall and everything surrounded by a neutral off white perimeter. But there is one element that I find a bit out of place (the painting in blue on the left) - I am left with a question as to whether or not the blue painting should have been cropped out of the scene? I hope some of your blog fans can help me with an answer.

Ken Spencer said...

Primo: I considered cropping out the left side of the photo, then decided against it, thinking that it added another layer of depth, and a bit more complexity to the image. I didn't that it was all that distracting. We'll see how everyone else votes... :-)

Anonymous said...

Bizarre is what came to my mind. I enlarged it to try and comprehend the entire scene. So much is captured in this one photo. After seeing Ken's comment, I had to go back to see blue photo, which I did not notice at first look. I was concentrating so hard on black and white, I became short sighted.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ken Schwarz. It is distracting and the photo seems much more cohesive without it. Stunning picture, though. Love the composition.

Anonymous said...

So I too missed the blue picture when I first looked. I will also have to agree with my big brother... :)
I think the blue picture needs to go.

Ken Spencer said...

THE WORLD IS AGAINST ME! HELP!!! Seriously, thank you all for your comments. I will think about this some more...

Anonymous said...

love the layer of mystery that the blue adds.