Sunday, May 1, 2016

The Expected and the Unexpected



I went for a walk along the harbor, to look for photographs.  It is so scenic, and the weather is always different, so I always come home with something.  I was walking in this direction, and the gentle curve of of the railing against the blue background caught my eye.  So I framed the picture, and waited.  I had passed a woman walking her dog, and I waited until she caught up to me, and then photographed as the two of them walked by me and continued into the distance.  This first photograph, with the woman in the distance, emphasizes the curve of the railing.  But this is the expected photo, I think - a small figure in the distance.  This second photo is the first one I took, and with the woman and dog being so prominent, the fence  seems less significant.  But the woman and dog are more important, and shown in an unexpected way, it seems to me.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the second one because the dog has caught you taking his picture and pauses long enough for you to get his face. The curve is still interesting and prominent, but the dog and its owner give the picture life on a very gray day.

Ken Spencer said...

Thanks so much for your comments! You and I favor the same shot!