Saturday, July 6, 2019

American Vernacular II


When we were walking from our car, parked on Sea Cliff avenue, to the house where we watched fireworks with our friends, I saw this scene, and it stopped me in my tracks!  Is this American, or what!  My friend Stan and I are always looking for "American Vernacular" images for each other.  So I just decided to look up the word "vernacular" and was surprised at what I found.  It is primarily a term used for language!  But then there was this:  "The term "vernacular" may also be applied metaphorically to any cultural product of the lower, common orders of society that is relatively uninfluenced by the ideas and ideals of the educated élite. "Vernacular architecture", for example, is a term applied to buildings designed in any style based on practical considerations and local traditions, in contrast to the "polite architecture" produced by professionally trained architects to nationally or internationally agreed aesthetic standards."  So there you have it, and here it is!

3 comments:

ken schwarz said...

The composition of today's photo is so perfect that it almost makes me think you went into the bar, sat down next to the biker, had a frosty Yuengling, and then ask the biker to reposition his Harley in front of the Sea Cliff village tavern to get the perfect shot!

Ken Spencer said...

Primo! Thanks for the compliments! That never happened because: 1. I never go to bars. 2. I never drink beer 3. I never talk to bikers... well actually I take that back. Amy took all of us to a seafood restaurant maybe a hour north of Venice, and we had lunch. It was a biker destination with guys out in the valley. Must have been 60 or 70 bikers there. I had some nice conversations with some of them about their bikes! Bottom line, I couldn't believe my luck when I saw that bike right in front of the bar. AND... the bike's headlight was on as well! What great luck!

Anonymous said...

I had to look up American Vernacular I to see what you posted before - the KFC & Taco Bell buildings. So this photo is perfect with the motorcycle in front of the neighborhood bar. betsey