Saturday, July 20, 2019

In The Checkout Line


I was in the checkout line at the grocery store, and when I looked up I saw this tattoo on the back of the young woman in line ahead of me.  I was stunned.  I thought of trying to take a picture of her back, but realized I couldn't do that without being noticed.  After I paid, I followed this woman and the young man she was with to their car.  I said I was standing behind her in line, and saw the message and said it was very powerful.  Then I asked her if I could photograph just the tattoo on her back.  She was very nice, and said "sure."  So I took three quick photographs, and then said that I thought she was very gutsy to have that tattoo, and she said "thank you."  I can't begin to tell you how moved I am by her message.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I have no words at the moment but a hollow feeling. Powerful.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Reading her tattoo brought tears to my eyes. I truly hope she continues loving life...betsey

Anonymous said...

Well, Ken, this is one of your most outstanding photos. Like Joan, I have no words right now. We hope that this young lady just keeps on keepin' on...and that you will continue to document Life on Long Island, for better or for worse. Babs and Will

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your thoughts. This was an amazing thing to see, and I am glad I stopped to talk to the woman, if only briefly. Felt like a real moment between people, if only for a minute. I wish her well also. She seemed to smile easily and seems to be a happy person.

Anonymous said...

Ken, she is probably happy and well read. She's quoting from "Candide: or Optimism" by Voltaire. Here is the short quote in context: https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/candide/quotes/page/2/
As it turns out, the character is embracing life despite the hardships. And in case you think I'm really smart, I just searched with the first part of the quote and got all sorts of references.-- Stan

Ken Spencer said...

Stan: I still think you are REALLY smart! Nice going! Thanks for educating us all!