Monday, July 1, 2019

Hardly a Straight Line Anywhere!



I have passed this home in Centerport so many times in all the years I have lived here, but never stopped to photograph it.  I was on the way to our astronomy club picnic, and the light was just right, so I finally took some photographs of the building.  THEN I looked up the history of this home! The Suydam Homestead is a vernacular farmhouse built in 1730.  No other documented 18th century house survives in the vicinity, which historically was sparsely populated by seafaring people and farmers. The Homestead is unique because it is one of the few remaining 18th century houses on Long Island which was lived in continuously by one family and their descendants from the late 1700s until 1957. Records show that the Suydams were a representative Long Island working class family who supported themselves by farming, oystering, boat building and carpentry. They were active in school and church affairs, fought in national wars, and were solid citizens with a respected place in the community.  Wow!  How amazing is that!  The look of the house is what caused me to stop.  Whe I was framing the image I realized that there is hardly a straight line in this view, except for the door and windows.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. It reminds me a little of homestead in Guilford and being in the family for generations. Thank you for researching and sharing this amazing story.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Seeing old buildings like this reminds me of the family homestead in Guilford, every time!

Anonymous said...

We love this little crooked house...who wants perfection??? BORING!!! Long may it stand just the way it is...We can all relate to what might be an odd angle or two...! Let us not cast stones...! Babs

Anonymous said...

This Suydam Homestead has quite a remarkable history. Thank you for sharing. Your caption instantly made me think of our grandparents' living room :-) betsey