Monday, January 6, 2020

Sailing? In January?


I went for my walk yesterday afternoon, and since it was overcast and the light was flat, I didn't bring my telephoto lens with me.  When I got down to the harbor I couldn't believe my eyes!  Here was a single-handed sailor going back and forth in the howling winds and waves in the harbor.  The winds were 21 MPH, gusting to 32!  He was a skilled sailor and kept control of the boat the whole time.  It looked like he was having a lot of fun.  But sailing in the cold like this?  He's a better man than I!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shot with white sail standing out against dark land and trees on a gray day. He is a brave soul. You are a better man than me as I chose not to take a walk in the 24 mph winds on Sunday.

ken schwarz said...

I am guessing the water temperature in Hempstead Harbor at this time of year is about 40 degrees F. And on top of that the sailor has to deal with significant wind chill. No doubt he is encapsulated in a full body insulated Neoprene wet suit to enjoy a day like this. Sailing a Laser in winds over 20 knots is a blast!

Anonymous said...

I recall sailing my FJ with big brother Ken in Manhasset Bay on a COLD March day. After capsizing and then bailing it out....we were back out sailing...I don't think the winds were as high, however.

Anonymous said...

To each his own...I noticed that he looks like he's wearing a wet suit. At least he is smart about his cold water and windy endeavor! betsey