Friday, August 18, 2023

An End to All That


This is a mirror making stand for fabricating mirrors for telescopes which I built back in 1992.  I have made three mirrors for astronomical telescopes using this.  I had watched lectures and slideshows on how to do that, but I really couldn't understand the process even after reading three different books.  So out of curiosity I decided to make my first mirror, a 6" diameter one, which I used for a custom telescope that folded flat and went in the overhead of a 747, to take to Australia for stargazing.  It was a really good mirror in the end!  Then I made two others.  Another 6" one and then an 8" one which goes in a telescope that is now my most used scope because it is smaller and lighter and has a larger aperture which lets in more light.  It is a joy to use.  So, while cleaning out the basement I knew it was time for this stand to go.  Then I remembered that I was coming to Stellafane, and I realized that would be the perfect place to find a new owner for my mirror making stand.  So I drove over to where they will have a swap fest tomorrow morning and dropped is off this evening.  I hated to leave it all alone, but I am sure it will find a good home.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing with your clean out mission. It is wonderful that a new generation of astronomers will be able to use this 30 year old stand that you built.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

I remember very well the day you showed me this Mirror Grinding Stand in your basement with a piece of glass mounted in the jig. Although you described the process, it was hard for me to understand how the finished product would virtually be perfect in spite of potential variables affecting the process. What I don't remember is the number of grinding hours needed to produce a finished mirror. Your gift of this Mirror Grinding Stand will surely get used by another amateur astronomer and will likely be passed on again! How cool is that!

Anonymous said...

Good for you letting go of your mirror stand. Once you start the cleaning out process, it gets easier…And someone else can utilize your gift. Betsey