Monday, November 5, 2007

The Library


This is the restored library at Oheka Castle, the former home of Otto Kahn, here on Long Island. One of the great Gold Coast mansions, it still is the second largest private residence ever built in America. Before the present owner bought it, in 1984, and set about restoring it, it was in ruin. I was here today to photograph some Christmas candles and got to see how it is coming. It is about 80% restored. Oheka has been turned into an upscale residence and hotel, and it is beautiful beyond belief. I have seen it in former years, as it was slowly transformed from ruin. It was a joy to see how far the restoration has come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are the floors slanted? Don't know if it's my eyes or a distortion of the website, but this photo looks crooked to me. I want to straighten it, like a picture on a wall.