Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fellows Gear Shaper Company

I suddenly realized that I have been coming to Springfield, Vermont to the telescope maker's convention for 20 years! And I have driven by this factory twice a day for the three days I have been here each year. FINALLY, when I was leaving the conference on Sunday, I stopped to photograph this factory. I have seen it when it was a going business, but it went into bankruptcy back in 2002. Springfield is located in the center of the "Precision Valley" region, which was the home of the Vermont machine tool industry, where a new era of precision manufacturing first began. I love the architecture and the settings of the buildings and factories in these New England towns. Fellows Gear Shaper company began here in 1897 and was originally powered with the water from the Black River, in the foreground. I spent about an hour photographing all around here, and I will be showing you more photographs as time goes on. The sky was particularly nice on this day - it was raining and I got wet, but the rain made for some really nice photos. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice photos, Ken! I believe you did a nighttime shot of the downtown falls which is absolutely gorgeous, but not on this particular page.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your stunning photos of my town. Living here, we get rather jaded in our view of what is considered the blight of some of these buildings and the river. Your pictures made me remember that art & beauty are all around me. It's all about mindset.