Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Wall


This is a wall at the George Eastman House in Rochester. Every time I come here, I photograph the wall. I am always fascinated by the ivy that grows there. In the fall it is red, in the winter the leaves are gone, and now it is green. I have photographed it in all seasons, but afterwards, I have never been quite happy with the results. This time, I like the shot. I think the thing about this is some sense of the life force as the vines reach out across the wall. I guess. But the real story here is the photographic exhibits I saw today. Two of them are absolutely stunning: A series of photographs by Ed Kashi called "Curse of the Black Gold: 50 Years of Oil in the Niger Delta," and "West African Masquerade: Photographs by Phyllis Galembo." Both of these are almost life changing! I kid you not. If you are anywhere near this great international museum, go see this collection of photographs from Africa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i bet everyone reading this post would like a link to the galembo exhibit, and to the other one if it is online. i have been enjoying the variety of your photographs, as well as their quality, and look forward to seeing what you have come up with each day. thanks!