Monday, December 29, 2008

My Grandmother's Living Room

This is an old photograph, taken over 40 years ago, which I found when I was cleaning up.  It is the living room in my Grandparent's farmhouse in Guilford, Connecticut, which I may have taken when I was still in college - it is an old color transparency.  I love this photo for two reasons - the quality of the light in the room with the late afternoon sunshine on the fireplace.  And the other thing is the room itself.  If you look carefully, there are no right angles anywhere in the photo!  The doors and doorways are crooked, the fireplace is crooked, and even though it doesn't show, the floors are uneven.  The original farmhouse was built in 1700 and there have been additions in later years.  In the 1960's they added a furnace, instead of heating the farmhouse from the fireplaces in each room.  The heat of the furnace dried the air in the house, and all the wood in the floors, leaving huge gaps in the planks!  Sadly, the farmhouse is no longer in the family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this photo and all the wonderful memories that go along with a great old home, the barns and lots of land. Where is the fire with colored sprinkles?
Joan

Anonymous said...

I feel lucky that I can look at this picture anytime since I have the picture hanging in my living room. Wonderful memories from when we were kids. Betsey