Tuesday, December 16, 2008

San Gorgiono Pass

I have decided that I no longer like "L.A. Leftovers" as a title. You know I am back home, and will be posting photographs from California, but I will title them in my normal fashion. Anyhow, these are wind turbines in the San Gorgiono Pass, about a hundred miles east of Los Angeles. There 9000 foot mountains on both sides of the pass, and it is at an altitude of 2600 feet. It is one of the windiest places in Southern California. There are more than 3000 wind turbines here, developing about 615 Megawatts, which is a LOT of power! This windfarm is an unbelieveably spectacular site, as are the other three wind farm sites in California. I saw my first wind farm at Altamont Pass, about 15 years ago, and nearly wrecked my car craning my neck to look at it! I was so taken with how other-worldly it was, that on a later trip I arranged to get an airplane and did aerial photographs of the hills and the turbines at dawn one day. I will have to go find one of those photographs, because you will be astounded at how cool it looks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this photo much better than the one on your way to Johsua Tree taken from the parking lot. Are you running out of photos to share that you give us these twice?
Kidding of course! Joan

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing so just glad it was your sister who pointed it out and not me ha ha. lol

Ken Spencer said...

Oh man, I am a dolt! I forgot about the shot on the way to Joshua Tree! And, I must confess, it was not taken from a parking lot - it was (gulp) taken from Interstate I-10 through the windshield while driving! I did spend more time looking at this photo and working on cropping it to best effect. But I am REALLY impressed to have two such careful readers! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

don't think you have only two careful readers. the rest of us simply didn't want to point out that you had shown us something so similar, so recently. or perhaps we didn't think it would help ...