Monday, December 1, 2008

Conjunction

There was an amazing astronomical event this evening that became visible right around sunset. This is a photograph of the three heavenly bodies that for one day appeared very close to each other.  In my photograph, you can see the moon at the upper left of the triangle, the planet Jupiter on the upper right, and the planet Venus at the lower center. Tomorrow night at this time the moon will be a long way away from where it is tonight, thus making tonight really special.  I hope some of you managed to see this, even if by accident.  I began by using a longer focal length lens, to get just the three orbiting objects.  It was interesting, but no where near as good a photograph as this one, because of the trees, which give both a sense of place, and a sense of scale to the scene.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to say I actually saw it last night. MSN mentioned it so I was looking when I went out at 6:30. Interesting to see the crescent moon but also see the full outline.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I could see the moon and the 2 stars on most of my trip home. Tried to photograph the view but only got a "blip" on my little digital. Amazing sight!

Amy said...

Gorgeous. It was too foggy that night to catch the "conjunction" in L.A., so I'm glad I get to see it through your eyes.