Wednesday, March 25, 2009

After Edward Hopper

I drove by this scene the other night, but for some reason didn't stop.  Maybe it was too cold...  Anyhow, I passed it again tonight, and decided I needed to shoot this.  It is one of the main avenues in Sea Cliff.  The first shots I did had a very strange color because of the mercury vapor lights.  I made some adjustments and the picture went from a reddish color to greenish, and both of those colors were distracting to the essence of the photo.  So I converted it to black & white and it improved the image one hundred percent!  I am a huge fan of the painter Edward Hopper, and I think this scene has qualities that are similar to some of his paintings.

4 comments:

ken schwarz said...

This is a wonderful photograph and Black and White makes all the difference. I haven't done anything yet in black and white with my digital toys; I'm now inspired to try something!

Ken Spencer said...

Shooting black and white digitally is easy! You shoot everything in color, then in Photoshop, you convert to black and white and see if it works better. How's that for a commitment to visualizing the finished image at the time of exposure! :-)

Amy said...

WOW. That is a GORGEOUS image, I absolutely LOVE it.

Anonymous said...

I think you captured this perfectly. In the middle of the night, Sea Cliff is indeed black and white and Roslyn Ave is deserted. Aside from that, your photograph is as I said, perfect.