Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bottom and Top

This is a very cool looking building.  It stopped me in my tracks when I saw it the other day.  I did know about it, but forgot how cool it looks. It is at 57th Street and 8th Avenue.  The bottom was built in 1928 for Wm. Randolph Hearst.  When the new tower was added nearly 80 years later, they preserved the original stone facade. The contrast between the two styles is really interesting to study.   The new building was the first "green" high rise office building built in New York City.  The photograph would be a lot more interesting with some direct sunlight on it, I think.  Maybe I will go back and try it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks as if the new glass building was just plopped inside the old building. I'm so glad you give the history of your photos!bsk