Friday, May 7, 2010

Hoops, Fells Point


Went over to Fells Point about dinnertime, to have crabs at Obrycki's Restaurant, a Maryland institution. As the taxicab approached the restaurant, I saw this guy shooting hoops in an empty lot. The image stayed with me - something about the simplicity of it, and the emptiness all around. I wished I could have taken the picture. But then two blocks later we were at the restaurant, a bit early, so I walked back two blocks, and asked him if I could photographing him shooting baskets. He said "O.K" so I took a few photos. I put the camera on the ground, and pointed it upward a bit, just guessing. This was the first shot, and it is the best of all! It is a simple picture, but there is something about it that seems to me more universal, about basketball and life, and the joy of shooting hoops alone, in an empty lot, at the end of the day.

No comments: