Monday, May 31, 2010

Life In a Small Town - Memorial Day


I have lived here for 44 years. When I first came to Sea Cliff I went to some of the Memorial Day parades. After a while I stopped going - I guess I couldn't be bothered. Then I read an essay about Memorial Day in a small town in Maine, by a writer at the paper who I worked with. It was a lovely essay, describing Memorial Day in his town and how this writer grew up with parades as a kid, and when he returned as an adult, the parades were no more. So I suddenly realized how lucky we are to have a parade each year here in Sea Cliff. I have not missed a parade since, and Leslie's essay was done about 25 years ago. This is the color guard from the Fire Department, stopping during the parade at the memorial for fallen firefighters.

2 comments:

Amy Spencer said...

Wow, seeing that makes me wish I was there. I haven't been to the Sea Cliff parade in a decade, and we don't have them around these parts, so you're right. It's a gift and worth going. :) —Amy

Ken Spencer said...

Hi Amy:
Thanks so much for your comment. Yes, it really is a gift. And I needed Leslie Hanscom to point it out to me. I will have to try and find the tearsheet of his essay - you would love it. It is so beautifully written.