Monday, May 17, 2010

The OTHER Washington Monument



We all know of the famous Washington Monument in the District of Columbia. Did you know there is another Washington Monument in Baltimore? Yeah, I didn't know either. But it was visible out the window of our hotel. Liz and I went out exploring one morning, to see what this was all about, and we were surprised to find that it was open for tours. So we set out to climb the 228 steps to the top, in a narrow winding stairway. The view from the top was spectacular. And, boy, did our calves hurt for the rest of the day after we got down. It is an amazing piece of architecture. It was the country's first major architectural monument, and the first civic memorial to George Washington. It was completed in 1829!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not know it existed until we had lunch. I see what you mean about the narrow staircase. My calves hurt just thinking about it.
Joan