Monday, May 3, 2010

How To Photograph a Dandelion


I was talking yesterday about how I made a little studio setup for photographing my dandelion. It occurred to me that you might like to see how I went about that. Here are two photographs of my setup. The only light is the studio flash unit up high on a light stand, lighting the flower from the top and slightly behind, and then I used two white cards between the camera and the dandelion, to bounce fill light back to the front of the dandelion. You can also see I used a black card behind the dandelion as a background. Seems kind of complicated, for just one small flower, doesn't it?

2 comments:

ken schwarz said...

OK, I'm impressed! Who would have thought so much equipment and staging would be needed to capture the bloom of a dandelion. Very cool shot! The simplicity of the image with the complexity of the bloom is an interesting contrast. Thanks for working so hard for all your blog enthusiasts.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ken. You are a commited blogger and I enjoy the photos & stories.
Joan