Monday, June 28, 2010

Awesome!


Awesome. I know, it is an over-used word. But not when you see Niagara Falls. I first visited there in college, and then when I was based at the Air Force Base nearby. I used to fly over it just for fun when when I was learning to fly. But I haven't been there in years, so we took a field trip the last day we were in Rochester. I forgot what a beautiful place it is. The surroundings on the American side have changed dramatically since the 1960's - there is now a beautiful park, and you are hardly aware that there are the buildings from downtown Niagara Falls beyond the trees. And the water will take your breath away. The difficult part is finding a photograph that gives a sense of the falls. One of the neat things about the falls is that there are a number of places to view it from on the American side, and we went to them all. This is the precipice of the north side of the American Falls (as opposed to the Horseshoe Falls.) It doesn't begin to feel like what it is like to be there. Notice the tiny boat in the distance - the "Maid of the Mist" near the bottom of the Horseshoe Falls. If you go there, be sure and ride "The Maid of the Mist."

1 comment:

ken schwarz said...

Awesome! From your photo, I call almost hear the rush and thunder of water falling into the river below.