Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Play


Does this photograph look a bit unreal? Because it is - it is "hyper real." It might not be immediately obvious, but when you are sitting on the porch looking at this scene, there is no way you can see detail in the shadows on the porch, and the house next door lit by bright sunlight. This is called "High Dynamic Range" imaging. I have been seeing a lot of this in the past few years. You take three, or five or seven different exposures - normal, over exposed, and under exposed, and then combine them with software into one image, which records both shadow and highlight areas which are normally beyond the range of a single exposure. It is tricky, and I am just learning the process. Stay tuned. It is fun to play!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Play? Who would have known all the effort you made to create. Lovely results.

Photodude Images said...

5 or 7 Exposures!!! You must be shooting with Nikon. We Canon folks are limited to 3 when we bracket. Thats not fair.

Anonymous said...

A boy and his toys! Who would know? I just point and shoot. Porch looks inviting.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Mike: (If you are still out there...) I am shooting on a tripod, and I am manually bracketing. Using the Nikon D-300 I think that I am limited to 3 stops, but *maybe* 5 are available. I forget. I am unlikely to shoot subjects like this without a tripod, so I doubt I would use auto bracketing.