Friday, June 4, 2010

Milk Pail?


A friend of mine bought a house a few years ago, and now is selling it to move to Florida. I stopped by the other day, and saw this metal pail out front. He said it was there when he bought the house, and he is leaving it behind now that he is selling the house. I recognized it as a milk pail, or container, and I think I know this from being on my grandparent's farm during summer vacations, as a child. They did have some cows, and I remember watching my grandfather milk them. But I am not sure why he would have a huge container like this. Maybe I am only imagining this. I love the patina of this container - the rust, mixed with the paint. It is a beautiful surface to look at. Click on this to see a more saturated color.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are not imagining it. Grandpa filled the shiny silver milk pails & a truck would pick them all up. Imagine the weight when full! I bought one in Vermont years ago & finally gave it away to a friend.
Cool photo.
Joan