Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Church of Saint Mary


I went to the church for the rehearsal, and was looking all around for photographs as I tend to do. I photographed some people for a while and then spent time looking at the architecture of the church. It is a stunning building, dedicated in 1874. I saw this stained glass window in the vestibule and took a photo looking out. Later on I went outside to look for one of the guests, and then looked in through the window. The illumination from inside the church made the window glow, and there were reflections of the darkening blue sky reflected off the door. What a difference the illumination made. What a gorgeous work of art this window is. By the way, I don't want to get called out on this by those of you who read the blog carefully.... This window is dedicated to Saint Agnes of Montepulciano, who at age 20 became the prioress of a new convent in Tuscany. Oh, in 1288. Glad you asked.

No comments: