Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Great One


Within a hundred feet of the two buildings posted previously, I found this! "The Great One!" I guess I had known that this statue existed, of Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden, perhaps the most famous bus driver in the world. How wonderful to have this beautifully crafted statue just outside the entrance to the Port Authority Bus Terminal! I wanted to photograph the whole statue, but there was construction on the front of the building, so I only did a close-up of his head.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the close up with the expression on his face. I can hear him talking!
Joan

Anonymous said...

WHAT? A picture of a wonderful sculpture with no information about the artist on the Ken Spencer blog? Imposter! We all know Ken not only for his great photography but also for his detailed captions, rich with information most of us would never know if not for him. Stop posting on Ken's blog, you fake. Where are you hiding the real Ken Spencer?

Ken Spencer said...

Oh man! You've got me on this one. Wow! How did I neglect this? I have failed everyone! I guess it was because I was up way too late when I made this post. Sorry. The artist is Lawrence J Nowlan, Jr, of Windsor, Vermont and is quite famous. He has sculptures from New York to Nappa, California, to Dublin, Ireland. And he surely has captured the essence of Jackie Gleason's character here. Oh, and the bronze sculpture weighs 8000 pounds. I know this because I tried to pick it up, and couldn't. :-)