Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Grandfather's Workshop


When I was 5 or 6 years old, my parents and I lived in a bungalow behind my grandfather's house in New Haven, for a few years. When my grandfather died the house was sold, and within the last 5 years or so became derelict. I have not visited the house in over 50 years. After the wedding on Saturday we had some time before the reception, so Liz and Amy asked if we could go by the house, so we did. What an amazing experience to be back there after such a long time! Wow! So many things were as I remembered them. This is the entrance door to my Grandfather's workshop in the basement, where he built and repaired organ pipes. The interior of the house had a huge pipe organ installed in it, and a small chapel attached to the side of the house which was used for small weddings. The house is boarded up - I wish we could have seen the inside, but it was mind-bending just to be there again, and to talk of my memories of the house with Liz and Amy.

No comments: