Monday, November 28, 2011

In Praise of an Unknown Photographer


So today I sing the praises of an unknown photographer, from a long time ago. And it is also in praise of a time when quality and craft really mattered. My sister loaned me several photographs of my mother and her twin sister to make copies of. I chose this one of the three as being the most elegant. Look how beautiful this image is, and how it has been carefully composed and lit with care. It is such a delight to contemplate the artistry and quality of this. There is no date on this. The inscription embossed on the mat says "Crosby, 831 Chapel Street, New Haven, Conn." Credit where credit is due.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Mother and her sister were so beautiful. How old do you think they are in this photo. Something about pictures back then...the subjects look so relaxed and peaceful...so gentle. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful subjects. Beautiful Lighting.
Joan

Anonymous said...

The face of the woman on the left looks like Liz. I always thought she resembled Eleanor M. but I also see a resemblance to her other grandmother. Really neat to be able to see the likeness between generations. Trace

Anonymous said...

Betsey and I talked about photo last night. Maybe they were "Sweet Sixteen",
Joan

Anonymous said...

I love this picture of mom and Aunt Jean. Mom looks so sweet!Joan & I figured the picture was taken when they turned sixteen - either for their birthday in the summer or for a "sweet sixteen" party...bsk