Sunday, November 20, 2011

Urban Archaeology


Had a cool "field trip" today with a friend of mine from the astronomy club. We went out photographing and doing some "urban archaeology." That is a euphemism for exploring abandoned buildings. To be accurate, we spent most of the day wandering around and photographing the outsides of different buildings at a former mental hospital. Many of these buildings are slated for demolition in the spring. Twenty years ago I did a photo essay, which took me several months to complete, about the architecture of abandoned mental hospitals on Long Island. At that time I had the luxury of access to the insides of all the buildings. Today it was different, since this was not an official visit. So my friend and I had to arrange our own access. You're looking at it! We got a lot of great photos, and I will, of course, be sharing them with you. With luck, this will not turn into Urban Archaeology Week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you were able to post this I knew you had not been arrested.
Joan

Photodude Images said...

Between taking photographs from cars as you are driving, and now this, my mom says you are a bad influence and I'm not allowed to hang out with you anymore.

Anonymous said...

You'll have to setup a paypal account button so we can all help post your bail!

Ken Spencer said...

These are all funny comments! Thanks. And I love that the Photodude's mom won't let him hang out with me!

Anonymous said...

I love photodude's comment - I'm still laughing! Glad you both didn't get caught...bsk