Monday, November 7, 2011

Not Done With Tucson


I am not done with photographs from Tucson. I went nuts out there with my camera - I saw photographs everywhere I looked. I took this at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. It is a traditional shelter from the sun and the roof is covered with "staves" from inside the Saguaro cactus. When the cactus dies, and then rots on the ground, the wooden staves which support the plant are exposed and the indians use them for all manner of things they build. In this case, to construct a shelter from the sun outdoors. When I visited Mission San Xavier del Bac, there were rows of these shelters, but I couldn't find a background there that I liked. So I was thrilled to find this one out in the desert at the museum. It is really a beautiful structure, isn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating! Nothing goes unused. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful photos and the information that went along with them. Your blog is an educational experience!

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you so much for your nice comments. I better not give too much information - after a while people will come here not for the photos, but for the descriptions! :-)

Anonymous said...

Reminds Sam of the Jewish holiday of Succos, with the bamboo-covered little huts... .

You DID compare Arizona to a religious experience, right?