Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Sister Wanted Mountains


Today I was out photographing in the desert west of Tucson. It occurred to me that with my iPhone, I could snap a photo with it and email it to my sisters. I got back a note from Joan: "I would have expected mountains" in response to my photo of Saguaro cacti! So... I went looking for mountains that I had photographed on this trip. How are these? This is from the summit of Mount Hopkins, the home of the MMT telescope. The summit is at about 8500 feet. We are looking down at the switchback road that we needed to travel on to get to the top! Yikes! The view from here is just spectacular - range after range of mountains stretching to infinity - more mountains than you can shake a stick at! I believe that if it is clear, you can see further than one hundred miles, from this altitude. It is an absolutely stunning view in person. I posted a larger-sized image, so please click on it to see much more detail.

No comments: