Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Flatiron

A good friend asked me to take a photograph of this building about 2 years ago, and I only got around to it yesterday! Yikes! It is the Flatiron building on Fifth Avenue, between 22nd and 23rd streets. I realized that what is amazing is that I rarely get below 34th street when in Manhattan. All the museums I visit are all further uptown. This is an iconic building - The photographer Edward Steichen did a stunning photograph of this building back in 1904, and I can't hope to even come close. Things have changed some in 108 years. But maybe I will go back and photograph it in the winter in the rain when I get a chance, to see if I can do better

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mother Nature was not cooperating with you. Nice shot of the building, but the sky is so bland and one dimensional. Then again, the background doesn't outdo the building, but I think you'd have beeter luck in the fall.

Anonymous said...

Having seen that building many times, Sam can't imagine any sky other than the white sky as perfectly appropriate. The overall gestalt evokes the good old days when such architecture was the latest thing.

Ken Spencer said...

I did a different composition with leaves and tree branches coming into the top of the photo. But when it came time to edit, I found the leaves distracting, so... white sky!