Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Different Way of Seeing


I saw some photographs taken in an office, for advertisements recently, and the photographs focused on a single coffee cup which was sharp, but the rest of the background was really out of focus.  I have seen a number of photographs that looked like this recently, and I decided to experiment and re-learn how this was done.  It is simple.  I used a 50mm lens on the Canon full-frame camera, and set the aperture to f/1.8, which is wide open.  How interesting the world looks, with out of focus backgrounds.  So I may do some more experimenting to see what else I can shoot with this technique.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The woman in the background has captured my attention, though in a very subtle way. She doesn't acknowledge me and I strain to see movement in her form, though she has become one with the chair. By now, we both know she is waiting for someone who will never come. Nearly swallowed by a white hooded cape, her image is an unremarkable blur. Perhaps I'm seeing her through my tears, but I've been warned: she wants no pity. The dark, dark windows deliver nothing nothing but disappointment. How long do you wait before you realize that the clock's hands have danced the circle too many times? One hour? Two? It's been so much longer than that - not just tonight, but the many nights that went before. She feels uneasy, unhappy, unloved, however, the candle's flame gives her a purpose, so she stares. She'll watch until the flame becomes a trail of curling smoke - her signal that the wait is over, until the next time.

Anonymous said...

Simple beauty. Lovely.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

WOW! This is just beautiful! So poetic, and so creative! I am blown away by your story! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Love the candle holder. Impressed with "Anonymous" story!! bsk