Monday, March 30, 2015

Portrait Week_4


This is Jim, ninety-three years old.  I met him on a tour of a greeting card company in Boulder.  I think the first thing I saw was his well-aged straw cowboy hat!  It's a beauty, isn't it?  After the tour, I saw him outside sitting on a bench, and stopped to talk to him.  I asked if I could take a portrait of him, because I really admired his hat.  So here is the killer - before I asked to take his picture, I wandered around outside the factory, looking for great light.  I could not, for the life of me, find great portrait lighting.  The lighting was very soft in the shade because there was a lot of sunlight bouncing off of the concrete.  I tried several locations, but couldn't get the directional light that would have made this portrait more dramatic.  So the portrait is not as dramatic as I would have hoped, but we had a nice long conversation about life.  Oh, about the bear.  There is an astounding collection of bronze sculptures on a western theme outside the factory and I chose to include the bear in my photo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim does not look his age! And I do love his hat :-) bsk

Ken Spencer said...

I was stunned when he said that he was ninety-three!