Saturday, July 4, 2015

Born on the Fourth of July


Back in 1988 we were having a staff meeting and they were looking for a summer story for the magazine.  Jokingly, I said "Why not do a photo essay of people born on the Fourth of July?"  Everyone laughed.  Then the editor came to me a week later and said he liked the idea.  So I set about finding celebrities who were born on the 4th.  Mitch Miller was the first one I called, and he said "Sure!"  I called Ann Landers because I had been to Chicago and photographed her a couple of times before and she agreed, so I was on my way.  I wanted to have everyone with the colors red, white and blue.  So this is her portrait.  I also photographed her sister, Abigail Van Buren, and George Steinbrenner, and Ron Kovic among others.  Oh, and they ran a photo of me, since I share that birthday as well.

6 comments:

Dean said...

Hi Ken-

Happy Birthday! Still your b-day here in AZ for 18 ore minutes! It is my sister Kathy's birthday too. She has 3 (!) new grandkids this year and she spent time with them all attending a parade in small town, IA where they live. Sounds like they had a great time. And tomorrow, they are having a surprise 40th anniversary party for them as other family members arrive to celebrate. wish we could have made it. Hope you had a great day! -Dean

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing a copy of the magazine. Hard to believe so much time has passed since then.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing a copy of the magazine as well. I thought it was so neat that you painted a baseball bat in red, white and blue stars and stripes to present to George Steinbrenner. You additionally painted a basketball similarly to present to another July 4th birthday person, known for his skills on the court, but whose name I don't remember at the moment. You also gave Ann and Abby flags, the one Ann Landers is holding in her photo.
Karen

Anonymous said...

I remember the magazine piece. I was impressed with all the people you were able to photograph. Enjoyed the articles, also. Weren't you lucky that your boss liked your idea! bsk

cloud said...

People Born In July

cloud said...

People Born In June