Thursday, July 9, 2015

Spider Rock, Canyon de Chelly


The New York Times did a travel article recently, which a friend sent me, about some of the Navajo peoples and lands which the photographer Edward S. Curtis photographed in the early 1900's.  I have been fascinated by the southwest peoples, and the early pueblo ruins which I first heard about back in the early 1980's.  I started making photographic trips out to these same lands shortly thereafter.  I photographed with a 4x5 view camera, mostly in black & white.  The Times had a photographer shoot this site, which is called Spider Rock.  I didn't like the photograph at all.  I think mine is much better!  You can see the Times version here: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/travel/photographer-edward-s-curtiss-southwest.html

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photo is more dramatic with the black and white. Loved reading the article and learning so much.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

It is an amazing place! Glad you liked the article.

Anonymous said...

The photos are SO different. Yours is bold - focusing on Spider Rock and the shadows. The other shows the vastness of the canyon with all its earth tones and green trees. I enjoyed the article and looked at a lot of Curtis' photos. There is one of a baby inside a carry crib which is adorable. I like the one showing the riders crossing the canyon on horseback with the mountainous rocks all around. He really has some amazing photos. Totally enjoyed this! bsk

Anonymous said...

I like your angle and the feel of the shot. Superior. -- Stan