Friday, July 17, 2015

North Country Scenes 4





We were leaving the reunion, and went back to the hotel on a different route.  I couldn't believe my eyes when this house flashed by.  It was the stone that first caught my attention, then I saw the lovely late afternoon light and then the flowers.  There was a sign that explained that this is the Hiram Hubbard Homestead.  Don't you love the alliteration?  It is a stunning home, and it was built in 1820 by the founder of Champion, New York.  It is built of "graystone" in case anyone is curious.  It is beautiful to see in person.  It had been abandoned for years, and deteriorating, and then the 4 River Valleys Historical Society and the town decided to restore it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful that this stone house has been restored. Beautiful color. Decorating with bright pink flowers in the window boxes and garden makes it look so inviting. I'm curious about the wood piece between the windows on the side of the house - do you know what it is for?? bsk

Ken Spencer said...

You ask a really interesting question. I saw that, and wondered what it was all about. I wonder if it was a way to easily toss ashes out of the house, or perhaps a place to access a clothesline? I think I will be talking to someone from the organization, because I am curious, and I will try and ask them.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful home!
joan