Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Pasadena Star-News, 1956


You probably remember that I posted a photograph of the trunk from our attic, where we found it when we bought our house back in 1971.  When I was cleaning the trunk out, I found that the bottom was lined with some sheets of newspapers.  I was curious, and was stunned to find that the paper was the Pasadena Star-News, dated March 7, 1956.  All the pages were from the fashion section.  I am not sure if they were printed on pink paper - that would be too much - or if the newsprint faded to a pink color.  I realized that I hadn't seen fashion ads like this since I was a kid.  The big mystery is, who shipped a trunk from Pasadena.  We knew that the owner of the house was Paul Soder, and neighbors said that he had been a fighter pilot in WWII - I sure wish I had a chance to talk with him when he was alive!  He also owned an automotive garage here in Sea Cliff for years.  Maybe he and his wife had a daughter.  I have done some internet searching with limited results.  If I discover anything I will be sure and let you know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really hope that you find out more about the trunk, the fashion ads in the newspaper and more about Mr. Soder. Difficult after so many years have passed but I'm hoping not impossible! bsk

Anonymous said...

Many papers across the country have used colored newsprint to make certain sections stand out from the rest. I've seen green newsprint for business pages and pink for "Women's" pages. I think when The National first started, it used a peach-colored newsprint. (Isn't that where photographer Don Norkett went when he left Newsday?) If a section was popular, the colored newsprint helped readers find it quickly. With all of the cutbacks and efforts to save money on press runs, I doubt any paper continues to use colored newsprint but it's a good quality because if the paper you have is from 1954, it's more than 60 years old! But even then, models were depicted as painfully thin (in my opinion).

Anonymous said...

Love the classic fashion, although she is way to thin. Expensive silk dress back in 1956 or was this for the rich and famous of Hollywood?
Joan