Tuesday, July 7, 2015

My First 35mm Camera


I found this very tiny print in a box of stuff left over from high school, I think it was.  I am photographing myself in the bathroom mirror in Milford, holding my very first 35mm camera.  I saved up money from my paper route, and then bought the camera by mail order from the Lafayette Radio store which was located on Long Island, believe it or not.  The camera had a fixed lens, and a lever action film advance, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. A few years later, I bought a    2 1/4 by 2 1/4 Minolta twin lens reflex which was a more "professional" camera.  I would love to know the name of this camera, and I cannot remember what became of it.  Who would have guessed where all of this would lead.

7 comments:

Photodude Images said...

I still have the stereo receiver I purchased from Lafayette at the Smith Haven Mall in college. If I remember correctly Lafayette became part of Circuit City - talk about jumping into the wrong lifeboat.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the first "selfie" - you were a man ahead of the times !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love this selfie. You look so young and cute. So many memories to recall while cleaning out.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Remember when you could wear a T-shirt like this and not get beat up? Did you develop the film yourself? Way cool to have a picture from so long, long ago.

Ken Spencer said...

This was after the time I first began to process my own film and make my own prints. I ended up building a darkroom in the basement which I used all through High School for my work.

Anonymous said...

Very smart to take a photo of yourself with your new camera - 1st selfie, indeed! Love the shirt, curly hair...Cannot wait to see what else you find among the boxes!! bsk

Unknown said...

Was that Milford NJ? I grew up in Jersey myself. I got my first camera from Lafayette too, but I can't make out which one you had, and I don't remember who made mine. It was similar to a Petri 7s.