Sunday, March 3, 2019

Warhol Exhibit


Two weeks ago Friday, I went to the Whitney Museum with Stan and Ann.  I was invited to join a group of Ann's friends who are docents at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, for a tour of the Warhol exhibit at the Whitney.  We had a guide who is a PhD candidate who is working as an intern at the Whitney and she was so knowledgable about Warhol, and each of the works she talked about.  It was an amazing tour!  I am not really moved by Warhol's work, but she made the works more understandable.  I love this photograph because the work is red and black in color, and the guide is all in black.  It is almost as if she is a part of the painting.  I forgot to add that the painting is a collaboration of Andy Warhol, and Jean-Michel Basquiat, called "Third Eye."


This is another photograph from the tour.  This is a partial view of a complete series of the 32 Warhol Campbell's soup can paintings.  I knew that he had painted soup cans, but what I didn't know was that he painted a different variety of soup in each painting!  When they were displayed in an exhibit in California for the very first time, you could buy one painting for $350.  Recently ONE of Andy Warhol’s Small Campbell Soup Can paintings sold for $11,776,000 and set a world auction record for a painting from the Campbell Soup Can series.  Yikes!

No comments: