Monday, February 1, 2021

The Snowstorm


So it has been snowing since last night.  The wind has been howling all day, in addition to the snow falling.  So at about noon I got bundled up and headed out with my camera.  There was about 18 inches of snow in our driveway.  The street had been plowed, so it was easier to walk up to the center of town.  I was astounded to see this guy doing a wheelie, in the snow, coming down the center of Sea Cliff avenue!  


I passed the Sea Cliff Fire Department, where I saw this man whom I assume was a volunteer fireman shoveling the entrance to the Fire Department by hand.


Further down Sea Cliff, I saw this man with a snow shovel.


On my way back up Laurel Avenue, I saw this truck with a snow plow that tried to come down a short, steep hill, on the left, and got stuck.  Some young men who were trying to sled down the short hill pitched in and helped push the truck further into the road to free it.


When I arrived back at the house, I was taken by these leftovers in the herb garden, next to the driveway.  These delicate stalks seen against the snow in their simplicity, remind me of a Japanese drawing.


And finally, once back in the house, I noticed this icicle hanging outside the window of the dining room.  It was great walking around in the snowstorm!  Be sure to click on these to see them with more detail.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You captured some wonderful snow photos. I especially love the herb garden one. I did not stir from my home yesterday as it was a white-out most of the day.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

There is only one comfortable way of looking at these pictures... it is with hands wrapped around a mug of hot chocolate!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see such a variety of photos in the aftermath of the storm. Great to see the guys helping someone get their truck moved. Look out for that dagger icicle! Need vented out yesterday. Dug out my car today under a foot of snow. Time for hot chocolate! betsey

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful blog entry! I love the photos and the descriptions that go with them. What a wonderful thing to be out walking in the beautiful winter weather and noticing all the beauty in the village, the plant life in the snow and then to be back in the warmth of home! Perfect! Trace