Tuesday, December 27, 2022

The Beauty of Flight


After taking off from Los Angeles, we were in clouds for a bit but eventually the skies cleared and we could see the ground perfectly.  What was unusual was that we flew southeast from LAX and got very close to the border with Mexico.  The landscape was bleak and appeared to be desert.  The skies were clear for the whole rest of the way.  I was reading and happened to glance up and see the light of the setting sun illuminating the wing, and clouds in the distance and I was immediately taken by the pastel colors.


It wasn't soon after that that lights on the ground began to appear from out of the darkness below.  These are the lights of  the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex shining up from below, and I love the subtlety of the colors in this photograph as well.  I never get tired of watching the world go by beneath us as we fly.  The beauty of flight, indeed!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would guess that the pilot flew south to avoid any bad weather. The colors in the top photo are so subtle. I have always loved looking at aerial photos for the diversity of the land below... betsey

ken schwarz said...

I think you were very lucky to have taken the scenic southeast route from LAX back home and that you did not book your return flight on Southwest Airlines. What a mess for so many people!

Ken Spencer said...

I talked to the pilot when I was getting off the plane. I have an air navigation app on my iPad so I watched the whole route of flight during the trip. I was really amazed that after takeoff we turned south and went right down next to the border with Mexico before heading east. We also had a LOT of turbulence at times during the first part of the flight. Turbulence in clear air - there were no clouds in the sky. So the pilot said that the Jet Stream had looped way down south. He said that the turbulence was us flying next to the jet stream. The Jet Stream can move at up to 100 Miles Per Hour. As that powerful stream moves through the main air mass it is like a fast moving mountain stream, and there are eddies - turbulence - along its edges, And we were close to that turbulence and that is what caused us the rough ride for an hour or two.