Monday, December 5, 2022

Three Men and a Drone!


Stan bought a new drone!  He will be using it for a project about the internment camps in California, where both his mom and dad were imprisoned at the start of WWII.  So, since it is illegal to fly a drone anywhere in Manhattan, he came out here with the drone for the day.  And our friend Preston came along with him - Preston is thinking he might need one too!  Here I am flying it just for a bit in the beginning, and using the drone to take a photograph of the three of us, in our side yard.


Here is a closeup of Stan's drone, with him in the background.  This machine is simply astounding.  It is about 1/4 the size of my drone, because all the arms fold in when you are done flying and the drone and controller fit in what amounts to a woman's pocket book!  And the quality of the images from this drone is simply amazing.  For the geeks out there, Stan's drone has a 4K camera.


After some preliminary flying in our side yard, we went up to the huge park in town with two baseball fields, as the sun was low in the western sky.  How cool is this shot, with the three of us, and the long shadows!


When the drone gets several hundred feet up in the sky, believe it or not, it is not easy to see!  Here Stan is flying it and Preston is trying to see if he can still see it.  It was about 300 feet above the ground at this point.  The law limits the altitude of drones to 400 feet.  We had such a great afternoon, the three of us, playing with one of the best toys ever!

 

6 comments:

Ron said...

Three men and a drone? How about three boys and their toys 🤣. These are some great shots. Is the H in the circle the landing spot?

Anonymous said...

My first thought was three boys and their toys. Love the photo in the park with the long shadows.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I love how excited you get with new "toys" Seems like you all had a great time with Stan's new drone. Thanks for all the photos. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Ron: The sophistication of this drone is beyond imagining! Drones have a mode called "Return to Home." They make a fix before takeoff and if the battery is running low, or if you are not sure where the drone is, you push the return to home button and it will land somewhere near you, based on the GPS fix. THIS drone when it takes off, stores the image of where it took off from - the "H" - and when you hit RTH, then it comes near to the spot it took off from, and then it "sees" in this case, the "H" and it lands right on the H. It also has a tracking mode which we didn't get to try. I could stand say 10 feet in front of Stan in my yellow jacket. Stan do the takeoff and then hover, while he would draw a box around me on his cellphone screen. THEN, get this, I would put my arm up in the air, above my shoulder, and wave my arm and that would signal the drone to track me, and I would start running straight and then zig-zag and the drone would follow me! Unbelievable technology!

Ron said...

Ken, thanks for the info. Amazing what these can do, and just a little scary too!

sharonyamato said...

Thanks so much for giving me a birds eye view of Stan’s new toy. The commentary is fascinating, too. I’m so glad Stan has such a good instructor in a world I know nothing about. Hope you have more opportunities to play!