Thursday, May 25, 2023

Observing the Moon


Our club had an outreach event at a school called "The Long Island School for the Gifted" tonight.  We had a great turnout, I think there were about 40 people who came to look at the moon which was wonderful.  I gave a 15 minute talk to the students and parents in the school where I told them what to expect to see when looking at the moon through a telescope.  There were four of us from the club who set up our telescopes for everyone to look through.  Both parents and children were astounded when seeing the moon, it is such a beautiful and desolate place as seen through the telescope.  What is amazing about this photograph is that it was so dark I could hardly see the people.  I set the ISO which is like the speed of the film, and I set it a 12,800!  Normally my camera film speed is set at 400. And ths photograph looks as if it was taken in daylight, but it was much darker than that.

 

4 comments:

Linda said...

That's a great photo of the event. I know my camera can go up to about twice that iso setting if I need it (which I hardly ever need) and still get reasonably good pics. Yay for technology.

Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful that you give back by offering up your telescope to people of all ages so they can look through your telescope to see the moon. I am sure that you enjoy seeing their faces after viewing :-) Betsey

Anonymous said...

So nice that you and members of your club offer to share your love of astronomy. Im glad you had a nice turnout of young and old.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Hi Linda: It is absolutely crazy some of the "film speeds" these digital cameras can use! I spent my whole life shooting Kodak Tri-X black and white at 400 and later on Fujicolor 1600 and maybe 3200 for some assignments. But these digital camera numbers are just crazy, but they work!