Friday, May 5, 2023

Wow! This Looks Complicated...


Well, yes, in fact, it IS complicated!  This is the panel of the aircraft I am flying in my training.  It is a Cessna 172 R.  Those circles to the left are, on the left, from the top, Altimeter, Vertical Speed, Tachometer.  And the two circles to the right of those are indicators for the radios, are called CDI's - "Course Deviation Indicators."  Then in the middle is the "radio stack" with the audio panel at top, and then a Garmin GNX 375 WAAS GPS Navigator with ADS-B "Out"/"In" Transponder.  Whew, that's a mouthful.  So I am familiar with the other radios which have been in other aircraft I have flown, but the Garmin is a whole other animal!


It is kind of a jack of all trades, in that it is a GPS but it is also the Transponder and it has a LOT of functions.  I have no idea how it works just yet.  It is so complicated, that I have downloaded a simulator of this unit for my iPad, so I can practice with it on the ground before getting in the airplane.  I think it will be a while before I feel comfortable with all that it can do.  But that's the fun of doing all this training!



 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I admire your commitment to getting back into flying and training. I'll keep my feet on the ground. :-)
Joan

Anonymous said...

Wow! I’m glad that cars are not this complicated. I admire you for going back to “school” in order to fly again. Brilliant idea to practice on a simulator on your iPad! Betsey