Sunday, April 10, 2022

Rundown


I was driving south on Glen Cove Avenue, which is the dividing line between Sea Cliff on one side and Glen Cove on the other.  It is a main road with all kinds of nice stores along it, like a CVS and Starbucks, and 7-11, and our favorite grocery store.  On this day what caught me was the light illuminating this building with two empty stores in it.  I used to buy wine in the liquor store, and I don't know why they moved away.  I really can't remember what the other store looked like when it was open.  But to see this building now that looks almost derelict was such a shock.  It must have been the light.  So I parked my car and did several different views.  This was the view that stopped me at first.


But in editing, I felt that the original view did not give enough of a sense of how derelict these stores looked.  I had shot this view, of course, because that's what I do - I try a number of different angles and then see which feels right, or which communicates better the sense of what I felt when I took the photograph.  So that's why I am including this photograph.  It doesn't seem as artistic but it does a better job of showing what I felt when I really looked that this building carefully, on this day.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is sad that a wellness center went out of business. But it is unusual for a liquor store to close up because everyone goes to them all year round in any kind of weather!! betsey