Saturday, April 23, 2022

The Brick


I was rebuilding a little corner brick garden today.  I think I built this garden about 20 years ago.  The bricks are just stacked one on top of another with no mortar in the joints.  That works OK for about 5 years, but after then roots have grown in between the joints and moved the bricks and they are are tilted not stable anymore.  So every 5 years I have to take down the top 2 or three courses of bricks out, cut the roots and put the little wall back together.  So I need to cut some bricks to make them fit at the edges - I use a heavy chisel called a "Brick Set" and you hit it with a sledge hammer, and break the end of the brick off to make it the right size.  And this is what some of the really old bricks look like inside.  I am interested in the subtle change of color.  I wonder if this is because when the bricks were fired in a kiln, that the heat on the outside was greater than on the inside, thus the difference in color.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you need to cut the bricks if you are just cleaning up old roots and resetting the bricks? Do they change in size over 5 years and moved by the roots?
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

I took down three courses of brick, and then after cleaning out the roots, rebuilt the wall. I decided to replace some of the really old bricks with newer bricks from the brick walkway that I took up when the new back room was built. So I had to cut some of the new bricks. But I was using some of the old bricks as well, which is why I was cutting some of them.